Saturday, December 17, 2011

Goodbye Automatic - On Photography

Photography; little did I know about the complexity of the hobby.  Learning a lingo I had no idea existed consisting of aperture, ISO, and shutter speed. I was dumbfounded on how little I knew about all of  this. My first resource: YouTube.com. Ah YouTube! How did we manage to learn stuff without you for free before? Studying hard, late at night for a month (can’t watch YouTube video’s with a 2 year old running around,) I finally felt comfortable enough to challenge. Move away from a little setting on my camera called Automatic Mode.  Looking at that little wheel with letters I have no clue what they mean. M (I know this is manual), Av (aperture mode?) and Tv (which does not stand for television). I guess you need to try it, to understand it.

My first obstacle: With my partner working two jobs and having my driver’s license removed due to medical illness… I had nowhere to go. What a disappointment.
Resolution: The greatest thing about photography is that you don’t need to go very far to discover beauty. While setting up for dinner one evening, I glanced outside and notice that the sun was starting to set over the trees in my backyard. Now my backyard isn’t the prettiest but I sure did find it pretty that evening. So here was my chance. I took the camera out of the dark closet in my bedroom and into the light. I opened my patio door, from my kitchen… Trembling a little and not knowing what I was up against, I pressed the shutter button and took photos in every mode trying different setting eagger to see what result I was going to get all from my kitchen door. I didn't even have to leave the house.

Overall, I’m very pleased with the outcome. Each photo had their own uniqueness and beauty. That's the story behind my collage of photo’s displayed today. I still have lots to learn but a happy beginning none the less!

No comments:

Post a Comment